By Armando M. Guidote Jr.
KIMIKA, the Journal of the Philippine Federation of Chemistry Societies, held a three-day writing workshop last 10-12 April as part of the 2013 Philippine Chemistry Congress at the Silliman University Library’s American Studies Resource Center.
The writing workshop was made agreeable that even the most reluctant of writers met the expectations for writing workshop. To date, there have been six completed manuscripts submitted. The Workshop was facilitated by Dr. Drexel Camacho – KIMIKA Editor-in-Chief. It began with a talk on the qualities of manuscripts accepted by Kimika given by Dr. Nina Rojas and Mr. Elliard Roswell Yanza. The participants were then assigned to different mentors for individual guidance.
The mentors were led by the Kimika Editorial Board members: Dr. Drexel Camacho and the Field Editors: Dr. Nina Rojas (Biochemistry), Dr. Alicia Aguinaldo (Natural Products), Dr. Susan Arco (Organic Chemistry), and Dr. Josephine Castañares (Analytical Chemistry). The other mentors were Dr. Lourdes Guidote, Dr. Nestor Valera and Dr. Rene Macahig.
- Lavilla, Charlie (MSU-IIT)
- Lagua, Faith Marie G. (De La Salle University)
- Labastilla, Evelyn M. (Tarlac State University)
- Cabugos-Flores, Annabelle (De La Salle University and DOST)
- Reyes, Ronald L. (Ateneo de Manila University)
- Ramal, Allan A. (University of San Carlos)
- Junio, Melanie O. (University of the Assumption)
- Tabunag, Jenny Syl D. (MSU-IIT)
- Yanza, Elliard Roswell (Ateneo de Manila University)
- dela Rosa, Francis M. (PTRI-DOST)
- Castillo, Leah (FNRI-DOST)
- Abrea, Anthony (PSHS-CVISC)
- Medrano, Irma G. (Ateneo de Naga University)
- Villegas, Lora Mae G. (University of San Carlos)
- Yachob-Saddalani, Sheeva(Western Mindanao State University)
- Sy, Jennifer (Pamantasan ng Lungsod na Maynila)
The workshop was made possible by support from the Commission on Higher Education and the Silliman University. Efficient assistance was given by Mr. Francis Biyok of the Silliman University Department of Chemistry.
Plans are currently being made for the 2014 Kimika Writing Workshop as part of the Philippine Chemistry Congress in Naga City, Camarines Sur.